The World Leader in High-Performance Building Solutions Details Sustainability Strategy and Progress including Reduction in Greenhouse Gas Intensity
James Hardie Industries plc (ASX: JHX; NYSE: JHX), the world’s #1 producer and marketer of high-performance fiber cement and fiber gypsum building solutions, has released its first global sustainability report. James Hardie’s 2021 Sustainability Report outlines its sustainable future, company commitments and significant progress made to date in four key areas: Communities, Environment, Innovation, and Zero Harm.
“Our commitment to building better, more sustainable communities starts by building better homes, with the homebuilding materials of the future,” said James Hardie CEO, Dr. Jack Truong. “Our commitment to a sustainable future extends to James Hardie communities around the world in which we operate, to the building and construction industry and across the largest shared community of all, our environment. At James Hardie, we are transforming the way the world builds by offering better, safer and more sustainable products.”
James Hardie’s sustainability strategy, which was formalized in fiscal year 2021 (FY21), is integrated with its global strategy for value creation and operational performance.
Sustainability Report At-A-Glance:
At James Hardie, building sustainable local communities is at the forefront of our strategy. James Hardie employs a diverse global workforce of approximately 4,800 employees across operations in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines. With a global mindset, James Hardie sources, employs and donates locally with a goal to create positive impact in all of the communities in which it operates. This includes:
- $800 million invested in local communities last year
- 63% of manufactured products shipped to customers within 500 miles of manufacturing facilities, literally helping to build local communities
- Sourcing more than 83% of raw materials from within 100 miles of facilities, supporting local businesses and minimizing length of haul and carbon footprint.
- 98% of staff hired from the local communities in which we operate
Building a Better Environment
Our business is about building better homes that have a lower impact on our environment and are built to last. James Hardie continues to minimize its material use, energy consumption and waste generation while delivering a high-value product and strong alternative to traditional building materials. By sourcing and supplying locally, the company maintains a small inbound and outbound shipping footprint, helping to minimize greenhouse gas emissions.
- 15 percent reduction in greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions intensity (MT CO2e/$) from 2019 base
- Commitment to reduce scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas intensity by 40% by 2030
- 21% reduction in landfill waste intensity (metric tons/revenue $) from 2019
- 100% Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) certified cellulose fiber in fiber cement products
- 100% post-consumer recycled fibers in fiber gypsum products
- Up to 50% recycled content in fiber gypsum products
- For details on long-term strategy and pilot programs to improve energy efficiency, conserve and recycle water, and reduce waste, download the digital Sustainability Report.
James Hardie is the leading global innovator in home exterior solutions, using new technologies to produce high-quality, sustainable products with endless design possibilities. Our fiber cement delivers superior life expectancy, driving down environmental impacts and meeting demand for long-term home siding solutions. We believe that through innovation we can drive continuous improvement of our energy consumption, water utilization, waste reduction and overall impact on the environment. This includes:
- 3 new products introduced with sustainability benefits: Hardie Textured Panels (launching across North America in early 2022), Hardie™ Fine Texture Cladding (Australia), Hardie® Brand VL Plank (Europe)
- Two new pilot R&D facilities, in Fontana, California and Rosehill, Australia debuting in the next two years, alongside more than 100 R&D employees around the world
- Covered 26% of revenue with environmental product declarations (EPD)
- Saved $107M In cumulative costs from LEAN initiatives (FY20-FY21)
James Hardie seeks to ensure the safety of its products, employees, partners, customers, and communities. During the COVID-19 pandemic, we worked hard to successfully protect our employees and their families, while also supporting the local businesses within the community. By ensuring the safety of our employees and the continued operation of our facilities, we were able to continue to support, employ and give locally, helping to sustain local communities throughout the pandemic.
- More than $1 million donated in products and company donations to organizations such as Feeding America Shriver Center on Poverty Law, Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Magnolia Foundation, Christopher House, ASPCA and more.
- 0.83 total recordable incident rate (TRIR)
- 0.51 total days away, restricted or transferred (DART) rate
- COVID-19 Response: 80 hours paid COVID-19 sick leave, 60,000 masks distributed, 3,918 proactive covid tests and free onsite daily lunch program.
In addition to ensuring the safety of our employees, we are committed to creating an inclusive and diverse environment across our company. During FY21, James Hardie launched its Global Inclusion and Diversity Program, which focuses on culture, employee interaction, employee capabilities, hiring practices, and growing and developing talent in the organization. James Hardie carefully manages impact through integrated operating and management systems such as the Hardie Manufacturing Operating System and LEAN manufacturing processes. In the fiscal year ended 31 March 2021 (FY21), James Hardie generated more than $2.9 billion in net sales and more than $458 million in net income.
About James Hardie Building Products Inc
James Hardie Industries is the world’s #1 producer and marketer of high-performance fiber cement and fiber gypsum building solutions. The company empowers homeowners and building professionals alike to achieve the home of their dreams with premium quality solutions that enable endless possibilities for design and aesthetics, while also delivering trusted protection and long-lasting beauty. Key to this effort is James Hardie’s dedication to its customers, market driven innovation, an inclusive and empowering company culture, and an unwavering commitment to its Zero Harm safety initiative. For more information about James Hardie visit www.jameshardie.com.
This Media Release contains forward-looking statements and information that are necessarily subject to risks, uncertainties and assumptions. Many factors could cause the actual results, performance or achievements of James Hardie to be materially different from those expressed or implied in this release, including, among others, the risks and uncertainties set forth in Section 3 “Risk Factors” in James Hardie’s Annual Report on Form 20-F for the year ended 31 March 2021; changes in general economic, political, governmental and business conditions globally and in the countries in which James Hardie does business; changes in interest rates; changes in inflation rates; changes in exchange rates; the level of construction generally; changes in cement demand and prices; changes in raw material and energy prices; changes in business strategy and various other factors. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described herein. James Hardie assumes no obligation to update or correct the information contained in this Media Release except as required by law.
This media release has been authorized by Mr. Jason Miele, Chief Financial Offer.
James Hardie Industries plc is a limited liability company incorporated in Ireland with its registered office at Europa House, 2nd Floor, Harcourt Centre, Harcourt Street, Dublin 2, D02 WR20, Ireland