Revised November 2022
James Hardie values and respects the privacy of all people – including our customers, business partners, investors, job applicants, and suppliers. We are committed to building trust by ensuring that your personal information is handled appropriately by our staff and our service providers, in accordance with applicable privacy laws and community expectations.
What We Collect
We collect the following categories of information in order to sell and market products, communicate with you, enhance our offerings and operations, recruit candidates, and for other operational, legal and compliance purposes:
- Identifiers. Information that can be used to identify you, including contact information, name, alias, address, email, login credential, phone number, company details, IP address, interests, date of birth, or other identifiers.
- Commercial Information. Products or services that you purchased or considered purchasing, rebate and sweepstake submissions, warranty claims, and related information.
- Protected class information under state or federal law. Demographic information such as age, gender, marriage or family status.
- Professional, Education, and Employment Information. Employment and education details, credentials and certifications.
- Geolocation Data. Including precise geolocation if you allowed an application you are using to collect it.
- Audio, electronic or visual information. Audio or video, for example when calling customer service or other phone lines or during a virtual applicant interview process.
- Online Activities Information. Such as your online interactions with us, digital information, device identifiers, cookies, search history, location information, browsing history, keystroke activity and rhythms, mouse movements, scrolling, and clicks.
- Inferences. Inferences or preferences which may be derived or based on other information we collect.
- Other Personal Information. Other personal information if it identifies, relates, or can be reasonably associated with or linked to you or your household.
How We Collect It
We collect personal information about you in the following ways:
We will collect your personal information directly from you when you:
- visit or create an account or profile on one of our websites;
- conduct training via one of our websites;
- engage with communications from us (including any of our newsletters) or notifications about offers or connections to contractors;
- Ask about any of our products, including when you request a brochure (or other marketing material) or when you request a product sample;
- provide feedback on any of our products or website features;
- Ask about local contractors;
- apply for a job with us; or
- engage with us on social media.
There may be occasions when we collect information about you indirectly from third parties or publicly available sources. Such third parties may include people or organizations who provide leads and marketing, promotional and data analysis services to us. We may combine this information with information we already have about you to help us understand trends, behavior, and views about our products. These third parties may set and access cookies, pixel tags, and similar technologies on your device, which may have cookies with varying expiration periods. These parties may, likewise, collect various types of information about your browser, device, or browsing activities through use of these cookies.
WHY WE COLLECT IT
We collect personal information for various business or commercial purposes, including to:
- provide information about our products or information that we think may interest you;
- provide updates or materials relevant to your use of James Hardie websites and products;
- facilitate business relationships with contractors, distributors, customers or employees;
- fulfil requests for information, brochures, catalogs, and samples;
- conduct and administer contests, surveys, rebate programs, and sweepstakes;
- determine effectiveness of our advertising and marketing;
- address complaints;
- conduct market research on our products and develop new products;
- deliver personalized offers and targeted ads;
- administer our website, including making sure that our content is presented in the most effective manner on different platforms; or
- to enforce any contractual obligations, assist law enforcement, respond to regulatory inquiries, and protect against security incidents and malicious activity.
HOW WE SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share your personal information with:
- our related corporate entities and/or associated companies;
- builders, installers, or contractors in your area that install our products;
- companies that provide warranty and customer support services;
- organizations with whom we have relationships for the purpose of promoting our products;
- our agents, contractors and external advisers who carry on our functions and activities or who assist us to carry on our functions and activities;
- organizations who are contracted by us to perform certain services, such as maintaining our websites, providing storage management services, delivering product samples, delivering promotional materials, providing security and compliance services, and providing software services that help us run our business effectively;
- Recruitment, contingent hire, and other employment agencies to facilitate candidate screening, interviewing, and hiring;
- Law enforcement or regulatory agency if we believe we are required to by law or as we deem appropriate in response to request or in connection with an investigation.
In addition, in the future, we may sell some or all of our assets. In such transactions, personal information may be one of the transferred business assets. In the event of a sale of our assets, personal information may be transferred to the buyer of those assets.
HOW WE MAY TRANSFER PERSONAL INFORMATION OVERSEAS
James Hardie has affiliates in a number of different countries. As part of our internal administration, your personal information may be shared with one or more of our group companies in those countries. In addition, we may disclose your personal information to our third-party service providers who may be based in or have servers located outside of the country in which you live. When we disclose your personal information to international recipients, we make efforts to ensure data security and appropriate privacy practices are maintained by those overseas entities. We will only disclose your information to overseas entities where:
- we have contracted with the entity to treat your personal information in a manner consistent with applicable privacy laws; or
- the entity is subject to comparable obligations to protect personal information as those in your country; or
- you have given us your consent to disclose personal information in this way.
HOW TO SUBMIT PRIVACY REQUESTS
To update, access or delete your personal information, please email [email protected] or call 866-274-3464. To opt out from sale, please also contact [email protected] or call 866-274-3464. To stop receiving marketing emails, you may also click on the "Unsubscribe" link in any marketing email you receive from us and update your preferences.
We may need your contact information, such as name, address, phone number and email, to process a privacy request and verify your identity. For security and privacy, we may use a third-party identity verification service to do so. With your consent, we may send you a text to your mobile number to verify your identity. The service provider may also present you with several questions requiring a response. Please note we need to keep certain information when permitted by law to detect security incidents, prevent fraudulent or illegal activities, identify and repair errors, comply with laws and regulations, and for other solely internal and lawful purposes.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION – JOB APPLICANTS
James Hardie collects information from you during your job application, including: (1) identification information, such as your name, address, phone number, email, account credentials and government-issued ID (if asked), (2) online activities, such as your interactions with the website, (3) professional or employment-related information, such as employment status; employment history, references or your résumé, (4) education information, such as your education background, (5) geolocation information such as your location when targeting our help wanted ads on social media, (6) protected class information, such as gender, race and ethnic background for Equal Employment Opportunity compliance purposes in accordance with the law, (7) information relating to your immigration status and ability to work legally in the U.S., (8) personal or family employment affiliation with James Hardie, (9) criminal background information, and (10) audio, video or electronic information, when you communicate with us, during your application or interview process, and (11) other personal information, if it identifies, relates and can be reasonably associated with or linked to you. We use the information to improve our recruitment practices, evaluate positions and candidates, conduct background checks and credential verifications, and for communication and analytic purposes.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - CALIFORNIA
Consumers, users, and others who reside in the State of California are entitled to separate and additional protections. For further information, please see our Supplemental Policy for California Residents here.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION - CANADA
In Canada, electronic communications are governed in part by Canada's Anti-Spam Legislation, effective as of July 1st, 2014, and its relevant rules and regulations ("CASL"). As it relates to anti-spam activities, CASL requires organizations, in their electronic communications with others, to comply with certain consent and informational requirements. Such electronic communications include newsletters, product updates, pricing information and promotional material. James Hardie is committed to making sure that it respects the law, as well as the choice of any third party, with respect to electronic communications. Where applicable, James Hardie will ask for your opt-in express consent to receive such electronic communications.